Your all-in-one Ambisonic surround solution
If you’ve been producing virtual reality content, then you know what it normally takes to capture great Ambisonic surround audio: a dedicated Ambisonic mic, a separate recorder, and a computer for encoding from Ambisonics A format to Ambisonics B. With the Zoom H3-VR, all of the encoding and decoding is built in, making it an all-in-one solution for capturing full-sphere surround audio for your projects. We’ve been impressed with the audio quality here at Sweetwater, and with its Auto Mic Position Detection technology, you can expect consistent sonic results in any recording application.
All the VR audio formats you could ask for
With its four-capsule Ambisonic mic, the H3-VR captures stellar 360-degree VR audio at up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. But that’s not all — you can also record stereo binaural WAV files up to 24-bit/48kHz resolution, enhancing your 2D productions with 3D audio.You can also capture standard stereo files if your recordings are intended to be played from speakers instead of headphones. Finally, you can download the Zoom Ambisonics Player software to easily convert your Ambisonics records to 5.1 surround sound for standard video purposes.
6-axis motion sensor ensures a true-to-life sound field
Positioning the H3-VR recorder is simple, thanks to its innovative Auto Mic Position and Level Detection technology. No matter how the H3-VR is oriented, it calibrates itself so that you always receive a true 360-degree sound field with proper up/down/left/right balance and imaging.
Ideal for live streaming, direct recording, and more
With its compact, conical design and advanced recording capabilities, the Zoom H3-VR is a great solution for a wide range of recording applications. Capture stunning 360-degree audio for live streaming. Use it for clear, reliable audio while video conferencing. Record musical ideas as soon as inspiration strikes, without having to stop and launch your computer and DAW software. Or record 360-degree audio directly to your computer, or stereo to your iOS device.
What’s in the box?
- H3-VR audio recorder
- Foam windscreen
- Dual mounting bracket
- AA batteries
Zoom H3-VR Audio Recorder Features:
- 4 built-in microphones in an Ambisonic array for full-sphere surround recording
- Operates as a standalone recorder or as a USB 2.0 audio interface
- Supports microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC cards (sold separately) up to 512GB for extended recording sessions
- Single-knob gain control for all microphones
- Built-in Ambisonics A to B encoding
- 3 recording modes include Ambisonics (surround), stereo binaural, and standard stereo
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution
- Headphone output and line output for monitoring your recordings
- Slate tone allows you to mark recordings for easy synchronization in your DAW
- Extensive metadata capabilities for professional applications
- Auto Mic Position Detection uses a 6-axis gyroscope to make it easy to capture balanced, properly oriented surround audio
- Level function ensures precise angle placement
- Wireless iOS remote control capabilities with the BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter (sold separately)
- Onboard Ambisonics playback with audio rotation
- Free software can be downloaded to play files, change direction, and convert to binaural, stereo, or 5.1 surround formats
- Powered by 2 AA batteries or USB bus power